Quinoa, Lentil and Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 cup of quinoa – any colour
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 onions
- Pumpkin seeds roasted are a great addition (roast on a tray in the oven for 5 – 10 ins)
Seasoning: cumin and coriander
For the dressing
- A big squeeze of garlic puree – or use fresh garlic
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp allspice
- Wash both the lentils and the quinoa and place in separate pans and cook with a little bit of stock, (I used a little swiss boullion)
- The lentils need more water than you think, there is no need to presoak them, but boil them for 10 mins and then simmer for 20mins.
- Quinoa needs less water, I used a ratio of 1 quinoa: 2.water
- When it is almost cooked, take off the heat and put on a lid, it will puff up nicely even if there is some water left in the pan.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash
- Peel and quarter the onion
- Place both in a oven-proof dish, coat in a little oil, and cumin and coriander.
- Bake for around 20 mins at 180 until soft
- Mix the lentils and quinoa together with the butternut squash and onions
- Make the dressing and pour it over, give a good mix
- Serve and enjoy!
Roasted pumpkin seeds make a great addition!