Toad in the Hole
I wouldn’t normally make this kind of meal but some people on one of my courses asked for it. Naturally, I decided to make it healthier!
- Sausages. Buy some decent sausages! This might mean going to the butchers.
For the batter
- 175ml milk (cow or plant-based)
- 140g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- A selection of vegetables. I used 1 courgette and 1 carrot.
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp mustard
- Mixed herbs
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Get the oven hot! Place the sausages in an ovenproof dish and put in the oven. You might need to add a tiny bit of oil depending on the sort bought, but some sausages produce enough of their own!
- Grate the vegetables.
- Put a little oil in the frying pan and fry the vegetables until soft.
- Make the batter by mixing together the eggs, flour and milk. Use a hand blender or liquidiser ideally to get the mixture smooth and avoid lumps. A fork will work fine if you don’t have one.
- Add the seasoning and stock cube as well as the cooked veggies.
- The sausages will be cooked by now and gone a beautiful golden brown. Pour the batter over and cook for another 30 mins, The batter should be a beautiful brown and slightly risen. The batter might not rise as much with the veggies, but the taste makes up for this!